Setting the stage for lifelong fitness
Fitness for Life: Elementary School is an innovative multimedia package that includes everything you need to implement a coordinated nutrition, physical activity, and wellness program:
- 4 full weeks of theme-based lessons
- 7 classroom guides featuring 140 lesson plans and activities for grades K-6
- A physical education lesson plan book
- More than 16 hours of video content
- A complete wellness coordinator’s guide
- A music CD to accompany the physical education lesson plans
- Hundreds of full-color reproducible media items
Fitness for Life: Elementary School facilitates total school involvement. Through physical education lessons, classroom physical activity and discussions, recess, before- and afterschool activities, and even family nights, you can deliver appropriate physical activity and teach concepts that promote health-related fitness and active lifestyles. Developed by nationally and internationally recognized leaders Charles B. “Chuck” Corbin, Guy Le Masurier, Dolly Lambdin, and Meg Greiner, the program has been field tested and is based on the most current research and standards regarding health-related fitness, activity, wellness, and nutrition.
The Fitness for Life: Elementary School program enables you to do the following:
- Teach essential health-related fitness, activity, nutrition, and wellness concepts
- Use flexible options for presenting the wealth of material available
- Meet local and state requirements for daily and weekly physical activity
- Implement wellness in the curriculum
- Implement easy-to-follow standards-based lessons
- Enhance academic performance
- Help fight childhood obesity
- Coordinate efforts with nonschool personnel
Fitness for Life: Elementary School also will help you comply with:
- Key guidelines of the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act
- USDHHS National Physical Activity Guidelines for Children
- USDA National Nutrition Guidelines
- NASPE Physical Education Curriculum Standards
Fitness for Life also incorporates nutrition guidelines associated with MyPyramid and features The New Physical Activity Pyramid for Kids.
Once every nine weeks the entire school conducts a Wellness Week (four each year) to focus extra attention on nutrition and physical activity. Each Wellness Week includes:
- Classroom activity breaks using teacher-friendly DVD videos and lesson plans
- Schoolwide nutrition events that also involve the participation of the school cafeteria
- Wellness Week physical education lesson plans and activities
- School signs promoting wellness, which can be posted throughout the school (printable from the DVD-ROM or CD-ROM in each book)
- Educational messages about wellness, physical activity, and good nutrition within the physical activity routines on the DVD
- Schoolwide special events
- Get Fit Fridays—schoolwide physical activities
- Eat Well Wednesdays—schoolwide nutrition activities
- Other schoolwide celebrations
- Newsletters to help families get involved in Wellness Week
The Fitness for Life: Elementary School program is built around four Wellness Weeks, each highlighting a different physical activity theme and nutrition theme. Each week can be implemented once per quarter, or the lessons could be spread throughout the school year—whatever works best for your schedule.
Plans for each Wellness Week include an Eat Well Wednesday and a Get Fit Friday. On Eat Well Wednesday classroom and physical education activities emphasize good nutrition habits that can be applied in the cafeteria and at home. Get Fit Fridays focus on active playgrounds and a TEAM Time (Together Everyone Achieves More) schoolwide activity.
The wealth of material available with Fitness for Life: Elementary School ensures that you’ll have plenty of material to implement the program and keep it fresh for the students. You’ll also notice that the ample program content provides you with flexibility in how you run the wellness program. You don’t have to use all the resources the first year! You can choose which Materials to use, and how often you would like to use them.